BitFenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller Review

Introduction and Technical Specification

 BitFenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller Review

 

Introduction

We can't really think of BitFenix as being the new kids on the block anymore.  Although they've not not actually been around that long, they have brought more than a few products to market, some of which can be considered classics.  For a manufacturer to enter such a competitive market place and stamp their mark is quite an achievement, and keep following up good products with more good products takes more than luck.  With the Hydra Pro BitFenix are aiming squarely at the no frills end of the fan controller customer base.  But in doing so, have they cut back on quality or features.  I guess we'd better have a closer look and find out.


Technical Specifications 

Materials

Steel, Plastic

Dimensions (WxHxD)

147 x 43 x 67mm

Form Factor

5.25" Drive Bay

Channels

x 5

Watts Per Channel

30W

Fan LED Connectors

x 5 (compatible with BitFenix Spectre LED/Spectre Pro LED fans)

Power Input

4-Pin Molex

Extras

SofTouch™ surface treatment, LED power indicator

 

 

 

 

  

 






«Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

Most Recent Comments

31-08-2012, 05:54:08

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...115926373l.jpg

Able to handle 30W and control 5 channels, the Hydra Pro forms part of the new range of fan controllers from BitFenix

Continue Reading

31-08-2012, 08:51:05

AverageNinja
Great review!
Looks good in the CM Storm Trooper

31-08-2012, 10:16:11

Pholostan
I have one of those. Cheap, simple and sturdy enough. I've used it for a moth or so. No problems, works as advertised.

31-08-2012, 13:36:06

ruairi.C
^So how did it work with the moths? :P jk

02-09-2012, 08:51:00

Pholostan
Oh hilarious. And there is no way to edit? Oh well.

02-09-2012, 13:42:49

Master&Puppet
Looks good to me - I was in the market for a fan controller with at least 4x 20w channels. I ended up getting the Lamptron touch which I really like but it is nice to have more alternatives and this looks good at a much lower price.

02-09-2012, 15:54:22

wassupdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholostan View Post
Oh hilarious. And there is no way to edit? Oh well.
haha it did make me giggle that, we do like to jest the newbies :P you'll be able to soon

03-09-2012, 11:38:23

Pholostan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupdoc View Post
haha it did make me giggle that, we do like to jest the newbies :P you'll be able to soon
The spell checker isn't smart enough to know what I mean

Anyway, the fan controller is a steal for the price. Sure, no fancy functions, but basic good ones. It can handle one of those monster 1,6 amp Delta fans just fine.

08-09-2012, 00:24:36

CPMFW
great review as usual...
i really like the simple look of it.

15-11-2012, 20:00:44

Whaler_99
I have one question on this as I contemplate my new build. Hopefully someone will have an idea...

Will be using a NZXT Switch 810 White. So, I have the issue of the front fan on my 360 rad being blocked by the plate in the 5.25" cage (As TTL shows in his review). I am planning to dremel out a bit of that to allow unrestricted airflow. But, with this fan controller, I wonder if it would fit in that 5.25 bay partially taken up by the rad and fan. Then just tuke all the wires in behind. I am wondering if the PCB board and connectors would have enough space. Be great use of that bay.

Thanks,
Whaler

16-11-2012, 02:12:50

rossi94
I don't like the design - thanks for testing

16-11-2012, 03:19:59

Master&Puppet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler_99 View Post
I have one question on this as I contemplate my new build. Hopefully someone will have an idea...

Will be using a NZXT Switch 810 White. So, I have the issue of the front fan on my 360 rad being blocked by the plate in the 5.25" cage (As TTL shows in his review). I am planning to dremel out a bit of that to allow unrestricted airflow. But, with this fan controller, I wonder if it would fit in that 5.25 bay partially taken up by the rad and fan. Then just tuke all the wires in behind. I am wondering if the PCB board and connectors would have enough space. Be great use of that bay.

Thanks,
Whaler
Yea that would work - I have the lamptron touch which looks like it has a very similar profile. You should have 1-2" spare behind the fan controller's PCB to fiddle with wires. It will be a little bit tight to work with the wires whilst the radiator is in but I think it would work.

16-11-2012, 07:28:27

Whaler_99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post
Yea that would work - I have the lamptron touch which looks like it has a very similar profile. You should have 1-2" spare behind the fan controller's PCB to fiddle with wires. It will be a little bit tight to work with the wires whilst the radiator is in but I think it would work.
Thanks very much for the info!

Whaler

16-03-2013, 01:35:40

hood6558
This is very similar to the NZXT Sentry Mesh that I have installed in my 400R - same 30w specs, # of channels, and price. If it works as well as the Mesh, the Hydra should be a solid value and good enough for 95% of systems with multiple fans. I only wish that they both came with a double handful of splitters so you can use the full potential of the design. As it stands, you're only able to use 1 fan per channel, and each channel can easily handle 4 to 12 fans (typical .25 amps (Corsair AF-120 Perf. Series). So thats 12 of Corsair's highest flow/static pressure fans on each channel (.25a x 12 = 3a - each channel handles 3.75a). That's a (theoretical) total of 60 fans! Yes, I'd say these are good for large water cooling setups.

16-03-2013, 04:53:08

Master&Puppet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hood6558 View Post
I only wish that they both came with a double handful of splitters so you can use the full potential of the design. As it stands, you're only able to use 1 fan per channel, and each channel can easily handle 4 to 12 fans (typical .25 amps (Corsair AF-120 Perf. Series). So thats 12 of Corsair's highest flow/static pressure fans on each channel (.25a x 12 = 3a - each channel handles 3.75a). That's a (theoretical) total of 60 fans! Yes, I'd say these are good for large water cooling setups.
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...pid-11831.html

17-03-2013, 14:26:34

hood6558
Thanks for the link, these look like high quality, and the 6-into-1 is perfect for 360/420 rads in push/pull. Never saw more than 4-into-1 before this. I am now using 2 of the cheap unsleeved 2-into-1 kind that look like they could short against something if you're not careful (all that's available locally). I will order some online soon and get my rig looking a little cleaner. Thanks again!
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.