Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

Up Close: Front Roof and Rear

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

Up Close:  Front Roof and Rear

Having taken in the sleek lines of the exterior it's time to zoom in and look at things in a bit more detail.  Nestling up near the roof of the case and barely distinguishable from anything over a few metres away we spy a little slotted aperture for a slim line ODD.  Beneath this Silverstone have mounted the Raven badge.  Now if you're thinking well that's fine and dandy if I have the case horizontal, but it's a shame it's going to look stupid if I go with a vertical orientation then fear not as it's removable, and, as you'll see later Silverstone have actually included another badge, curved differently so it can be used in the vertical position.  Now that's what we call attention to detail.  Over to the right, again the USB3 and audio connections are stealthy located.  A pop off rubber cover would have been nice but we're being picky as usual.  Down below and almost unnoticed lie the power and reset buttons as well as LED activity lights

 

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

 

In the vertical plane the case is supported by four dense rubber feet.  These don't actually adhere to the case, instead they have protuberances which locate into the venting slits on what would have been the side panels.  The fit is really quite excellent and feels secure, yet they are easily removed is you so desire.  If you're going to go dragging the case across a desk top then the likely hood is you're going to dislodge them, but unlike the feet on the much maligned Antec 1900, these aren't actually meant to stay on.

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

 

With the two expansion slots positioned laterally off to the right of the main rear I/O area, the rear of the RVZ01 gives a bit of the game away with regards to how Silverstone have gone about enabling the accommodation of full length full height GPUs.  There's also a fair bit of perforation back here which should help with cooling in what appears to be a positive pressure set up.

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

 

Both 120mm fan mounts have attractive linear grill designs, but are cleverly recessed so as to allow the attachment of the supplied magneic fan filters

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

03-03-2014, 04:28:19

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...080257456l.jpg

Silverstone offer up the RVZ01, Raven styling with an M-ITX form factor. Did somebody say Steam-Box?

Continue Reading

03-03-2014, 05:36:15

barnsley
I've got a build log of one of these to do. Its got an i7 4770s (lower power draw), a GTX 780 (with the ugly as sin evga plastic cooler) and the silverstone cooler. It'll be powered by silverstone's 450w gold psu that they released for this case. Its also modular as well. which should be helpful.

03-03-2014, 05:46:21

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I've got a build log of one of these to do. Its got an i7 4770s (lower power draw), a GTX 780 (with the ugly as sin evga plastic cooler) and the silverstone cooler. It'll be powered by silverstone's 450w gold psu that they released for this case. Its also modular as well. which should be helpful.
Do a proper job then......

03-03-2014, 05:57:25

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Do a proper job then......
Just waiting for the motherboard to arrive as it was out of stock when it was ordered (gg scan). The same for the short cable set. I'm going to build it at the weekend as its at a mate's.

03-03-2014, 10:38:05

Feronix
So much innuendo

Kind of want to do a build in this...

03-03-2014, 10:38:37

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
So much innuendo

Kind of want to do a build in this...
Make a steambox!

03-03-2014, 10:41:58

Feronix
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Make a steambox!
Truth is that I don't really need a Steambox as my monitor has a TV tuner built-in and I have an Xbox controller for Windows adaptor so if I want, I can sit on my bed (which is conveniently placed against a wall to which I have attached a black baby matress, turning my bed into a couch).

Long story short, for me it would just be €400-500 wasted which is a lot for a student. Still want to downsize my main rig to a Phenom though... Or the RVZ01, hmmm...

Phenom would be cooler/quieter and look better though. Not going to put custom braided cables and mods on the inside of a case where a window makes no sense.

03-03-2014, 11:23:09

Conchubair
beenn following this case for ages now, wanting to replace the family pc with one. Its similar in size to a x360 too.

My only complaint us the ribbed front, which I think could look more like the steambox iFixit did a teardown on, more sleek and curvatious. I actually think that may have been sikverstone built too.

03-03-2014, 11:34:28

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchubair View Post
My only complaint us the ribbed front, which I think could look more like the steambox iFixit did a teardown on, more sleek and curvatious. I actually think that may have been sikverstone built too.
I think the steambox prototypes were these but slightly modified. Silverstone are releasing a non Raven version of the RVZ01 as well, called the ML07.
http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_1_14_...cases/ml07.jpg

03-03-2014, 11:56:59

Feronix
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I think the steambox prototypes were these but slightly modified. Silverstone are releasing a non Raven version of the RVZ01 as well, called the ML07.
http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_1_14_...cases/ml07.jpg
I think I like this one even more!

Don't Silverstone tend to release cases with the same internals twice all the time? One for the Raven series and one for the Fortress series, with different exteriors.

03-03-2014, 11:57:43

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
I think I like this one even more!

Don't Silverstone tend to release cases with the same internals twice all the time? One for the Raven series and one for the Fortress series, with different exteriors.
Yep. The silverstone model always costs more I think though.

03-03-2014, 12:01:45

Conchubair

03-03-2014, 12:13:43

cooperman
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I think the steambox prototypes were these but slightly modified. Silverstone are releasing a non Raven version of the RVZ01 as well, called the ML07.
http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_1_14_...cases/ml07.jpg
It looks like the CD player off my sony stack system i had about fifteen years ago

26-03-2014, 01:22:07

captainzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...080257456l.jpg

Silverstone offer up the RVZ01, Raven styling with an M-ITX form factor. Did somebody say Steam-Box?

Continue Reading
Tom, are you going to do a video review of the RVZ01? Always love your video reviews and this case would be an awesome one if you have time to do one. Thanks

26-03-2014, 03:09:49

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
Tom, are you going to do a video review of the RVZ01? Always love your video reviews and this case would be an awesome one if you have time to do one. Thanks
Asking him to do a case review after a written review was already done is pointless.. he does not do request because he has no time.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.