Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

The Build

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

The Build

If you've been a bit confused up to now as to how all this hangs together then building into the RVZ01 should help you grasp things a little more firmly.  First to go into the case is the M-ITX motherboard, sitting as it does immediately beside the cage that houses your chosen SFX PSU.  There's plenty of room for cables but no cable management to speak of, and although there are no cable tie points, you are going to want to lash things together to keep it as tidy as possible, especially as the cables supplied from the front I/O are about three times longer than they need to be.  We've mounted an HDD on op of the PSU cage and as you can see there's no a lot of space between it and where the roof will be.  Still, in an enclosure as compact as his we accept that compromises must be made, and so do Silverstone, recommending that you put your OS on a more heat tolerant SSD and use a low RPM HDD for your data.

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

 

Slotting our trusty old ASUS EN 8800GT into the GPU bracket does at least show just how much room there is to be had.  provided your card's not longer than 13" and no wider than 5.88" it'll fit just fine and although if you're building a steam machine you're not likely to need to wedge a Titan or a R9 290X in here should you choose to you'll be pleased to know it will fit just fine.

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

 

We have to admit to being a bit concerned as to how well the GPU mounting bracket approach would work, being more than a little concerned with regards to its robustness as it required the PCI connection on the bottom of your GPU to first be attached to the extender before being engaged with the PCI socket on the motherboard.  We are however very pleased to report that our concerns were totally unfounded with the whole process being simple and straightforward.  We hardly ever needed to refer to the instructions (Ok so we did a few times but come on, we're not turning our Man card in for this little infringement)

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review

 

Although we haven't mounted a PSU it's clear to see just how little room there is for cable management in here.  All the cables you can see are purely those from the front I/O and already things are pretty crowded.  When we turn to CPU cooling, with only 83mm of space on tap it's petty much a given that you're going to be looking at a low profile air cooler, such as Silverstone's own NT06 Pro.  In the instructions provided with the RVZ01 Silverstone do point out that with 86mm of room it is also possible to get a 120mm rad and fan along with the CPU water block into the space directly above the CPU.  Good luck with that!

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review     Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Review  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

03-03-2014, 04:28:19

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...080257456l.jpg

Silverstone offer up the RVZ01, Raven styling with an M-ITX form factor. Did somebody say Steam-Box?

Continue Reading

03-03-2014, 05:36:15

barnsley
I've got a build log of one of these to do. Its got an i7 4770s (lower power draw), a GTX 780 (with the ugly as sin evga plastic cooler) and the silverstone cooler. It'll be powered by silverstone's 450w gold psu that they released for this case. Its also modular as well. which should be helpful.

03-03-2014, 05:46:21

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I've got a build log of one of these to do. Its got an i7 4770s (lower power draw), a GTX 780 (with the ugly as sin evga plastic cooler) and the silverstone cooler. It'll be powered by silverstone's 450w gold psu that they released for this case. Its also modular as well. which should be helpful.
Do a proper job then......

03-03-2014, 05:57:25

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Do a proper job then......
Just waiting for the motherboard to arrive as it was out of stock when it was ordered (gg scan). The same for the short cable set. I'm going to build it at the weekend as its at a mate's.

03-03-2014, 10:38:05

Feronix
So much innuendo

Kind of want to do a build in this...

03-03-2014, 10:38:37

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
So much innuendo

Kind of want to do a build in this...
Make a steambox!

03-03-2014, 10:41:58

Feronix
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Make a steambox!
Truth is that I don't really need a Steambox as my monitor has a TV tuner built-in and I have an Xbox controller for Windows adaptor so if I want, I can sit on my bed (which is conveniently placed against a wall to which I have attached a black baby matress, turning my bed into a couch).

Long story short, for me it would just be €400-500 wasted which is a lot for a student. Still want to downsize my main rig to a Phenom though... Or the RVZ01, hmmm...

Phenom would be cooler/quieter and look better though. Not going to put custom braided cables and mods on the inside of a case where a window makes no sense.

03-03-2014, 11:23:09

Conchubair
beenn following this case for ages now, wanting to replace the family pc with one. Its similar in size to a x360 too.

My only complaint us the ribbed front, which I think could look more like the steambox iFixit did a teardown on, more sleek and curvatious. I actually think that may have been sikverstone built too.

03-03-2014, 11:34:28

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchubair View Post
My only complaint us the ribbed front, which I think could look more like the steambox iFixit did a teardown on, more sleek and curvatious. I actually think that may have been sikverstone built too.
I think the steambox prototypes were these but slightly modified. Silverstone are releasing a non Raven version of the RVZ01 as well, called the ML07.
http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_1_14_...cases/ml07.jpg

03-03-2014, 11:56:59

Feronix
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I think the steambox prototypes were these but slightly modified. Silverstone are releasing a non Raven version of the RVZ01 as well, called the ML07.
http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_1_14_...cases/ml07.jpg
I think I like this one even more!

Don't Silverstone tend to release cases with the same internals twice all the time? One for the Raven series and one for the Fortress series, with different exteriors.

03-03-2014, 11:57:43

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
I think I like this one even more!

Don't Silverstone tend to release cases with the same internals twice all the time? One for the Raven series and one for the Fortress series, with different exteriors.
Yep. The silverstone model always costs more I think though.

03-03-2014, 12:01:45

Conchubair

03-03-2014, 12:13:43

cooperman
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I think the steambox prototypes were these but slightly modified. Silverstone are releasing a non Raven version of the RVZ01 as well, called the ML07.
http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_1_14_...cases/ml07.jpg
It looks like the CD player off my sony stack system i had about fifteen years ago

26-03-2014, 01:22:07

captainzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...080257456l.jpg

Silverstone offer up the RVZ01, Raven styling with an M-ITX form factor. Did somebody say Steam-Box?

Continue Reading
Tom, are you going to do a video review of the RVZ01? Always love your video reviews and this case would be an awesome one if you have time to do one. Thanks

26-03-2014, 03:09:49

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
Tom, are you going to do a video review of the RVZ01? Always love your video reviews and this case would be an awesome one if you have time to do one. Thanks
Asking him to do a case review after a written review was already done is pointless.. he does not do request because he has no time.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.