SwiftTech Apogee GT CPU Water Block
Published: 8th May 2007 | Source: SwiftTech | Price: |Introduction
When you're choosing the various parts for your watercooling setup you look at a number of factors: cost, performance, suitability and flowrate among others. When SwiftTech launched the Apogee block enthusiasts slated it for it's simple design with lack of jet impingement.
However after a while it soon came to light that the Apogee was one of the top performing blocks out there, especially when you took into account the price. Never a company to lay back on it's laurels, SwiftTech made the Apogee GT, which we're taking a look at today.
SwiftTech have chosen to go with the blister-pack style of packaging. This is a good way to go as CPU blocks don't tend to be too fragile and the pack protects the contact area whilst showing off the looks of the block.
The package includes:
* Hold-down plates,
* Retention hardware for Intel socket 478 (Intel® Pentium® 4), socket 775 (Pentium® 4, Celeron, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme), socket 603-604 (Intel® Xeon™ 400, 533 FSB), socket 462 (AMD® Athlon®, Duron®, XP, MP), socket 754, 939, 940, AM2(AMD® 64 bit processors), Socket F
* Three sets of hose barbs (1/4", 3/8" & 1/2") & washers
* Arctic Céramique thermal paste
* Installation guide
An impressive and most importantly complete bundle accompanies the Apogee GT. SwiftTech are always very good at providing what you need in the box and it's all there.
The specification of the Apogee GT is pretty impressive for such a well-priced block.
| * Internal structure: the CNC machined C110 copper base plate is at the heart of Apogee™ GT cooling efficiency. Designed using Computational Fluid Dynamics, the Patent Pending Diamond Pin Matrix was further optimized in the "GT" version resulting in increased surface area and coolant velocity. The thickness remains at 3mm to promote a high compliance factor with its mating surface (i.e. the CPU heat spreader) thanks to the base plate flexing ability. This particular feature allows additional "tweaks" to the Apogee™ generation of water-blocks and may yield substantial performance gains as described in the tweaking guide HERE.|
Patent Pending Diamond Pin Matrix Copper base plate
of the Apogee™ GT
The Diamond Pin Matrix requires proper base-plate orientation in relation to the intlet and outlet ports as shown below:
* The housing is injection molded out of Black Acetal. This process is key to allow mass production of the water-block, and thus economies of scale.
Patent Pending Housing
* The universal hold-down plate features mounting holes for all current Desktop and midrange server processors (Xeon™, Opteron™). Optional hardware is available for high-end server processors (Itanium™).
Hold-down plate - Click to enlarge
* Nylon Fittings: 1/4" NPSM to 3/8" and/or 1/2" barbs
* Fitting O-ring: (2) EPDM O-ring AS568A Dash Number 112
* Base plate dimensions: 2" x 2" (50.5 x 50.5 mm)
* Assembly weight: : 6.7 oz (190 g)
Now we've seen the numbers let's look at the block.