MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming Review
Motherboards are, as we've often said here at OC3D, now so interchangeable thanks to the excellence of the Intel chipsets that you can purchase almost anything and be sure of a good foundation to your system.
The days when you had to be brand loyal, or when the feature set of a particular model was so rich it was deserving of your hard-earned are slowly disappearing. It takes more than a highly tunable DFI BIOS to separate them.
That doesn't mean that there aren't differences to be had. In a lot of cases your choice is either one that is ultra-high-end just for the sake of having a particular brand in your signature, or maybe you're stuck with an average looking board to obtain one within your price range. Similarly to the ASUS X58 Sabertooth, MSI have blown the motherboard world wide open with their MPOWER, which was both feature-rich, great looking and high performing yet cost a mere £150. It covered all the bases so well that it's difficult to recommend any other motherboard.
Rather than rest upon their laurels MSI have gone back to the drawing board and seen if they can provide a motherboard that has enough differences to the standard types to be a genuine contender. Enter the Gaming series, designed for the people who want a good underpinning for their system, without minding too much about obscure features or having to pay through the nose for the privilege of one that looks nice.
So if you want a motherboard that is good value, but don't want to be stuck with a bright blue one or one with an entirely indistinguishable feature set, the MSI Z77 G45 Gaming provides some surprisingly well thought out options.
We have the usual suspects that are part of the Z77 chipset, lots of SATA and USB options alongside some fast Memory speeds and multi-GPU support. MSI have added to this a couple of things that should prick up the ears of the gaming community. We have the Realtek® ALC892 with Soundblaster Cinema support for your audio, and the Killer E2205 Network controller for low ping even when your connection is being used for downloads.
- Intel® Z77 Express Chipset
Supports 3rd Gen & 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ / Pentium® / Celeron® processors for LGA 1155 socket
- DDR3-3000 (OC) Memory
- USB 3.0 + SATA 6Gb/s
- Killer Ethernet: Kill Your Lag
- Military Class III: Top Quality & Stability
- OC Genie II: Overclock in 1 Second
- Click BIOS II: World's 1st UEFI and Software Graphical User Interface
- PCI Express Gen 3: World's 1st PCI Express Gen 3 Motherboard Brand
- Multi-GPU Support: NVIDIA SLI & AMD CrossFire Support
- Sound Blaster Cinema: Realistic Surround Sound Experience
- Gaming Device Port: Optimized with Triple Gold-plating for High Frequency Gaming Devices
- Total Fan Control: Optimize All Fan Speed As You Wish Lucid Virtu MVP: Uncompromised Game Response Performance