G,Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 8GB Kit Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

G,Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Kit Review

Introduction

Whilst 4GB was once considered a phenomenal amount of RAM, and to a large extent is still not a small amount, nonetheless the combination of Windows, and a virus killer/firewall/messenger etc can quickly take up a lot of precious Memory.

As games and applications become equally more complex, they too need ever larger amounts of this finite resource, and so it is a good time to look at increasing the base amount of RAM in your system.

Enter G.Skill. A company who've provided a huge array of Memory solutions for every format under the sun. Today we have to hand an 8GB kit, the G.Skill Ripjaws X. However don't think that the increase in base capacity from 4GB to 8GB has led to a reduction in quality or speed. No Sir. This is a 2133MHz CAS9 kit, so you can be quick, and capable.

Technical Specifications

A quick trip to the always useful G.Skill website reveals the specifications for this particular kit. 9-11-9-28-2T @ 2133MHz, 1.65v. Although the qualified vendors list appears small, it's been a long time since any manufacturer has released a board that is very picky about its RAM. Any one from the major companies will be just fine.

System Desktop
System Type DDR3
M/B Chipset

Intel Z68

Intel P67

CAS Latency 9-11-9-28-2N
Capacity

8GB (4GB x2)

Speed DDR3-2133 (PC3 17000)
Test Voltage 1.5 Volts
PCB  
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
Type 240-pin DIMM

Qualified Vendors

Manufacturer

Model
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
ASUS SABERTOOTH P67
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
ASUS P8P67 EVO
ASUS P8P67 PRO
ASUS P8P67-M PRO
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5
ASRock P67 Extreme 6
MSI P67-GD65 (Bios Ver 1.B)
MSI P67-GD55 (Bios Ver 1.B)
MSI P67-GD53 (Bios Ver 1.B)
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next»

Most Recent Comments

19-05-2011, 05:08:56

tinytomlogan
If you're looking for a fast, high capacity Memory kit for your LGA1155 board, G.Skill might just have what you need.



Continue Reading

19-05-2011, 05:46:15

SieB
Nice performance and price

I don't like the new style of the Ripjaws I think the original style looked better, still good RAM though.

19-05-2011, 06:54:46

Judderman
Damn I do like the colour, I can imagine it in a Iron Man themed case, good timings as well, good honest thorogh review as always, many thanks

19-05-2011, 07:23:12

B0GiE
I can't find them anywhere to buy. How much are they gonna cost?

19-05-2011, 07:38:51

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0GiE View Post

I can't find them anywhere to buy. How much are they gonna cost?
It says £150 in the conclusion, they probably aren't out yet but Ebuyer and Overclockers usually stock the Ripjaw RAM so keep an eye on those.

19-05-2011, 08:04:40

B0GiE
Cheers i missed that.

I just bought the 4 Gb Kingston Hyper-X 2133Mhz Genesis off the back of OC3D review. Benchies seem pretty similar to these. No need to send them back!

19-05-2011, 14:14:49

THD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post

Ive got 12gb of this stuff and they go a hell of a lot faster when tweaked.... my timing are much better than what you have on your review.
And the fact that you have 2gb sticks compared to the 4gb sticks used here cant have anything to do with that ?

Six of these will put you on 24GB not 12 (assuming 2011 socket will have room for six) or 4x4 = 16GB

Ps not trying to diss you but was just wondering if that could make a difference

OT : I would like to know how these compare to the mushkin red ridline 2133mhz , 8gb which in holland is way below the 150 pound price (starting from €120)

Anyways, cool review as ever

19-05-2011, 14:46:49

mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

And the fact that you have 2gb sticks compared to the 4gb sticks used here cant have anything to do with that ?

Six of these will put you on 24GB not 12 (assuming 2011 socket will have room for six) or 4x4 = 16GB

Ps not trying to diss you but was just wondering if that could make a difference

OT : I would like to know how these compare to the mushkin red ridline 2133mhz , 8gb which in holland is way below the 150 pound price (starting from €120)

Anyways, cool review as ever
wopps my typing mistake .. still the timing's are way faster and if that's what's he trying to say then review the same sticks i have ... and btw i have never seen any noticeable difference going from 12gb to 24gb with the 4gb sticks cos i sent them back. (it was ordered by mistake and sent back when i found i didn't need them). As for the timings on the 4gb's well i cannot answer that as i didnt test them for timings at the time.

any way more to the point there faster than what the review says they are.

19-05-2011, 15:07:09

Aurus_OC
Quick question: Do those fit under the D14, because I know some of the GSkill do fit?

Love to see the 2133MHz on 4GB DIMMs.

19-05-2011, 18:14:17

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurus_OC View Post

Quick question: Do those fit under the D14, because I know some of the GSkill do fit?

Love to see the 2133MHz on 4GB DIMMs.
Yep, they would fit under the D14.

20-05-2011, 02:27:08

clone38
Defo fit i have some with D-14

20-05-2011, 04:09:51

Excalabur50
PcCaseGear.com.au has these in stock for those in Aus. who want them

20-05-2011, 11:37:22

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post

wopps my typing mistake .. still the timing's are way faster and if that's what's he trying to say then review the same sticks i have ... and btw i have never seen any noticeable difference going from 12gb to 24gb with the 4gb sticks cos i sent them back. (it was ordered by mistake and sent back when i found i didn't need them). As for the timings on the 4gb's well i cannot answer that as i didnt test them for timings at the time.

any way more to the point there faster than what the review says they are.
4GB stick will have slacker timings Mayhem, thats kind of a normal thing mate. LMAO might want to check these things out before commenting

20-05-2011, 12:40:29

TuNk77
I have the 1600MHz set of these and they fit just fine under the D-14

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6734/dsc02937re.jpg

30-05-2011, 10:56:04

optical10
"THD

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

.....OT : I would like to know how these compare to the mushkin red ridline 2133mhz , 8gb which in holland is way below the 150 pound price (starting from €120)

Anyways, cool review as ever"

same here as member THD above question, here are the prices in the UK:

8GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback #996997 (2x4G DDR3 2133MHz 9-11-10-28 £112.62 inc. VAT

8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 2133MHz RipjawsX..£ 146.78 Inc VAT

that makes quite a difference when you purchase 16 GB so I would really like to know, apart from the included fan cooling makes the 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 2133MHz RipjawsX. So special?

30-05-2011, 11:00:00

optical10
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

OT : I would like to know how these compare to the mushkin red ridline 2133mhz , 8gb which in holland is way below the 150 pound price (starting from €120)

Anyways, cool review as ever
same here as member THD above question, here are the prices in the UK:

8GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback #996997 (2x4G DDR3 2133MHz 9-11-10-28 £112.62 inc. VAT

8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 2133MHz RipjawsX..£ 146.78 Inc VAT

that makes quite a difference when you purchase 16 GB so I would really like to know, apart from the included fan cooling makes the 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 2133MHz RipjawsX so special?

30-05-2011, 11:26:36

TommyB
There speed might be good but i hate the style of the heat sinks so i would never buy them.

02-06-2011, 14:38:39

Zaim
That looks like a good memory kit, however I would be more interested in the 8GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 2133MHz

20-10-2011, 14:26:25

Nightfalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaim View Post

That looks like a good memory kit, however I would be more interested in the 8GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 2133MHz
Isn´t the Mushkin Redline 996996 Frostbite the better choice for Nh-D14??? Chips are the same as in the Ridgeback, but Heatsink is lower and the price also (Ridgeback about 106,- €, RipjawsX 161,-€ (!!!) and Frostbite 91,-€

What would you think should i purchease??? (My Board is the ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Gen3 with i7 2600k and the NH-D14 Cooler. Case ist the ATCS 840 from Cooler Master.)
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.