OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 4Gb DDR2 Kit

Packaging & Appearance

Packaging
 
An area I often moan about on memory kits is the over-use of the plastic blister style packaging. Sure it allows the modules contained within to be seen in their full glory when placed on retailers shelves, but it offers very little in the way of protection during shipping and takes away some of the excitement when unpacking your latest purchase.
 
As we can see from the images below, OCZ have chosen this packaging method for their ReaperX kit. However, with the kit coming in at an extremely competitive price point, I think we can let OCZ off the hook this time round ;)
 
 
OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Packaging Front OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Packaging Back
 
The front of the packaging is fairly standard, with OCZ using a cardboard insert printed with an orange and grey background to help highlight the modules. While no information on the modules is printed on the insert, OCZ have taken the liberty of placing a specification sticker towards the bottom of the packaging that will help users identify what modules are contained within.
 
Due to the shape of the heatspreaders on the ReaperX kit, OCZ have had to modify the back of the packaging slightly to accommodate the heatpipe fins. While this may have been a necessity to get the kit fitting snugly inside the packaging, OCZ have used it to their full potential by printing a technical diagram and brief description on how the heatpipe system works at the back of the insert card.
 
 
Appearance
 
Back when we reviewed the original OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 kit, it's unique looks were met with mixed responses. While the kit certainly performed admirably and the heatspreaders managed to keep the memory cool even at high voltages, the copper full-loop heatpipe system certainly wasn't as pretty as OCZ's FlexXLC kits. With this in mind, let's take a look at what the ReaperX kit has to offer...
 
OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Front OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Back
 
OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Front OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Back
 
The appearance of the ReaperX kit can only be described as: WOW! While the heatspreaders do certainly borrow some elements from Thermalright's HR07, the ReaperX kit looks far more sleek and the inter-woven fins attached to each of the heatpipes keeps the modules far more compact. OCZ have also improved the appearance of the copper heatpipes by nickel plating them to match with the rest of the black/silver colour scheme.
 
OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Side OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Fins
 
OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Top OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Inter-Woven
 
Unlike OCZ's original Reaper kit, the ReaperX cooling system consists of two totally independent heatpipes that pass along the entire length of the heatspreader. Each filled with a small quantity of liquid that evaporates when heated, taking the heat away from the surface of the memory. The liquid vapour then passes to the top of the heatpipe where it is cooled by the large array of aluminium fins. Once the vapor has cooled, it returns to a liquid, falls back down to the heat source and can begin the whole process again.
 
OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 Heatspreader OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 PCB
 
OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 IC's OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 IC's
 
Due to the above average weight of the heatspreaders, OCZ have decided to hold them in place with three screws at the top of the modules in addition to the usual sticky thermal pads. This certainly made identifying the IC's used on the PCB extremely difficult, with the sticky pads only separating from the modules once they'd been heated.
 
Unfortunately, even with the heatspreaders removed, the ReaperX kit gave away no clues as to what IC's had been used. As we can see from above, the IC's have been printed with the OCZ logo and the following series of numbers: X42P3288I-25C / 0748R. Maybe OCZ can shed some light on what's behind the ReaperX series!
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next»

Most Recent Comments

16-01-2008, 15:28:54

JN
"Just when we thought that all the DDR2 reviews had dried up, OCZ comes and surprises us with their latest "ReaperX" 4GB kit."

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...132634762s.jpg

OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 4Gb DDR2 Kit

16-01-2008, 15:45:14

Bungral
Quality review mate..

They just look so damn good and preform just as well.. 1100mhz!!

Is it just me or does the percentage at the end not show up??

Oh yeah one more thing... On the 3rd page when saying about what OCZ say the stock timings are on the RAM you say they are 4-4-3-12 when I think they are 4-4-3-15.. Correct me if I'm talking out of my arse though

16-01-2008, 15:55:57

FarFarAway
I bought these, boshed em in...no tweaking at all and straight to 990MHz. Not had time to fiddle but as you can see there's plenty of headroom

16-01-2008, 15:58:08

Bungral
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
I bought these, boshed em in...no tweaking at all and straight to 990MHz. Not had time to fiddle but as you can see there's plenty of headroom
Was gonna ask if these were the ones you got or if you had the higher ones.. 8800 or whatever it is.

16-01-2008, 15:59:08

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
Quality review mate..

They just look so damn good and preform just as well.. 1100mhz!!

Is it just me or does the percentage at the end not show up??

Oh yeah one more thing... On the 3rd page when saying about what OCZ say the stock timings are on the RAM you say they are 4-4-3-12 when I think they are 4-4-3-15.. Correct me if I'm talking out of my arse though
Cheers. Twas a bit of a long day and I had all kinds of numbers flying thru my head :s

16-01-2008, 16:18:42

Luigi
quality review, wish i hadnt got my ballistix now, couldve got got 8gb of this and overclocks to similar frequency's...

16-01-2008, 16:33:55

Bungral
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Cheers. Twas a bit of a long day and I had all kinds of numbers flying thru my head :s
No problemo

16-01-2008, 17:20:47

Azreil_2
Nice Review , is this the same kit as the one from the xmas comp?

16-01-2008, 17:30:40

Mr. Smith
Jimbo,

My bank manager wants a word with you. He said, 'Mr. Smith, why are you spending money like it is going out of fashion?' I replied 'It's Jim's fault'... I gave him your number...

My ram arrives Friday!

16-01-2008, 17:33:50

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Jimbo,

My bank manager wants a word with you. He said, 'Mr. Smith, why are you spending money like it is going out of fashion?' I replied 'It's Jim's fault'... I gave him your number...

My ram arrives Friday!
EEP! Time to move to the same bank as me then. Whenever my bank manager calls me, its from a dodgy telephone line in India. I cant understand him, so I hang up

Deffo check out that thread on OCZ forums btw mate...or you'll have problems hitting DDR3-1100.

16-01-2008, 17:39:22

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
EEP! Time to move to the same bank as me then. Whenever my bank manager calls me, its from a dodgy telephone line in India. I cant understand him, so I hang up

Deffo check out that thread on OCZ forums btw mate...or you'll have problems hitting DDR3-1100.
Woah! I imagine I'll have huge problems hitting ddr3 1100 with ddr2 800 ram. That must be some informative thread

I might buy a few of these ddr2 kits, do the magic ddr3 conversion and sell them off at a profit!

16-01-2008, 17:40:42

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Woah! I imagine I'll have huge problems hitting ddr3 1100 with ddr2 800 ram. That must be some informative thread

I might buy a few of these ddr2 kits, do the magic ddr3 conversion and sell them off at a profit!
You're pretty handy with a soldering iron right?

16-01-2008, 17:47:30

Mr. Smith
I'm bad a$$.

Right, I'm off to watch Sopranos so go suck a lemon!

17-01-2008, 02:43:33

OptimAdam
nice review had these for a while now. Any plans on comparing them against the 1066 version, to see the overclock difference?

17-01-2008, 09:42:20

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='OptimAdam'
nice review had these for a while now. Any plans on comparing them against the 1066 version, to see the overclock difference?
I'll see what I can do for ya mate

17-01-2008, 09:48:59

Harrythepot
hi nice review

i got a question to ask is this a 2 x 2GB pack or 2 x 1GB pack?

17-01-2008, 09:56:19

Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Harrythepot'
hi nice review

i got a question to ask is this a 2 x 2GB pack or 2 x 1GB pack?
Its 2x2gb. Jim the nub has for some reason put 2gb kit in the thread title, but got it right everywhere else .

17-01-2008, 10:07:22

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Its 2x2gb. Jim the nub has for some reason put 2gb kit in the thread title, but got it right everywhere else .
EEEEP. Fixed

17-01-2008, 13:59:40

!TIMMY!
nice review! These look a rite good set of ram!

17-01-2008, 14:06:49

Luigi
apparently not so good if you have 2 sets....

17-01-2008, 17:11:18

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
apparently not so good if you have 2 sets....
Pardon?

17-01-2008, 18:10:19

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
Pardon?
Think he means 8gb? But then thats to be expected TBH. If you're filling all slots, expect trouble

17-01-2008, 18:48:19

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Think he means 8gb? But then thats to be expected TBH. If you're filling all slots, expect trouble
Ahh

And ye, has always been the way

18-01-2008, 08:53:09

Bungral
You got yours now Smithy?

18-01-2008, 09:25:52

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
You got yours now Smithy?
Ja.

Ordered Wed night, arrived Fri a.m... Good for 1000nhz without even trying!

18-01-2008, 11:35:39

Luigi
i meant because they dont fit, the coolers are too big for 8gb on most boards.

18-01-2008, 11:50:01

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
i meant because they dont fit, the coolers are too big for 8gb on most boards.
I think some of the boards I've tested could accomodate them, I suppose it depends on board layout.

You will not need 8GB in anything but a server environment anyway

18-01-2008, 13:07:05

Mr. Smith
Just realised I have these @ 2.2v 1030mhz 5-5-5-15 rock solid...

Think that will be ok as they are only rated for 2.1v? Might have to set to 2.1v and see what I get...

18-01-2008, 13:17:12

Luigi
havent they got a 2.2v EVP?

18-01-2008, 13:20:48

FarFarAway
2.1 is the warranty

18-01-2008, 13:24:32

Luigi
oh does it not come with an EVP?

18-01-2008, 13:36:03

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
oh does it not come with an EVP?
My bad, yes it does. Mind you, you could have read the specs on their website too

18-01-2008, 14:52:19

Bungral
2.2 should be alright on then with their sexy coolers.. +++++++ lifetime warranty anyway and they wouldn't know they had a lil more vs going through them.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.