Aria Gladiator Juggernaut System Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

Aria Gladiator Juggernaut System Review  

Introduction

Last time we looked at a multi-card PC from Aria it was an HD2-K, based around Crossfire HD6870s and a i5-2500K. It provided very good value for money and performance.

Another year, and we have the Gladiator Juggernaut up for testing. Although the technologies have moved on, the ethos behind it is the same as the HD2-K. Take a good value Intel CPU, bolt two mid-range GPUs inside it, and get it out the door for just shy of £1300.

The recipe was worthy of our Gold Award last time, so we're excited to find out of the Juggernaut has the same success.

Technical Specifications

Looking through the list of parts that make up the Juggernaut, it's clear that the pricier GPUs have meant that a couple of other areas aren't quite up to the standard we'd expect from a 2012 machine. The i5-3570K is the replacement for the i5-2500K although here it's only at 4.2GHz. Of course that's plenty of horsepower for all but the most demanding users. The price difference between a 1600MHz kit and a 2133MHz one is small enough we'd have preferred to see the faster modules. But we're nit-picking.

However, the big show-stopping part that has led to those minor cuts is probably worth the admission fee. Two EVGA GTX660Ti's in SLI should hopefully give massive gaming heft, especially at the resolutions and image quality settings demanded by modern gamers.

All of this is wrapped up in the usual excellent Aria RTB warranty and technical support.

• Overclocking: Intel i5 professionally Overclocked up to 4.20GHz
• 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ (Ivy Bridge) i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor
• Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Quiet CPU Cooler
• Graphics: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2048MB GDDR5 Graphics in SLI - Supports DirectX 11
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x4096) Memory
• 128GB OCZ Agility 4 SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive
• 2TB 7200rpm SATA 6GB/s Hard Drive
• MSI™ Intel Z77 G45 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard w/ SATA 6G & USB 3.0
• 630W 80PLUS Bronze Modular Power Supply
• Corsair Carbide 500R White Midi Tower Gaming Case
• DVD +/- RW Drive w/ m-Disk Support
- Pre-Built and shipped safely with ample packaging protection.
- Full 12 Month RTB Warranty - Hardware support included with your PC.
- Telephone technical support on call.
- Resource DVD(s) (Diagnostic & Drivers), periphery items and motherboard manual(s) provided.
- CPU Cooler Multi-socket bracket support included.

We can't wait to open the box and find out what the Juggernaut looks like. So let's move on and see what is in store.

Aria Gladiator Juggernaut System Review     Aria Gladiator Juggernaut System Review  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next»

Most Recent Comments

05-09-2012, 06:31:54

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...094527142l.JPG

Today we take a look at a new system from Aria packing SLI GTX660Ti's and based around the Z77 chipset.


Continue Reading

05-09-2012, 06:37:45

SnW
Do all GTX660Ti's have those power connections at the side ?!
really not good for modders IMHO...

05-09-2012, 07:26:35

Master&Puppet
To be honest that's a pretty decent build for a sensible price.

On the whole component selection is sound although I think they could have made more of that CPU overclock. I do have a little issue with providing 16gb of RAM. There's a lot of PC builds available on the market which provide i7 CPUs and 16gb of RAM and frankly it's just a marketing ploy and and a waste of money for a dedicated gamer's build. Bigger numbers aren't always useful and certainly aren't necessary.

I'd prefer to see 7950s wth 3rd party cooling in there instead of the 660s personally, especially given the price these days (at least from a retail perspective) but it's not a deal breaker.

The OCZ SSD though..for me that is. I was on the phone to Aria just this week and it was mentioned that they are still seeing high RMAs for OCZ SSDs and also that all the staff there have M4s in their own rigs. Speaks volumes to me. I can't see why they would risk the extra inconvenience for both themselves and the customer. I guess the margins must be worth the hassle and reputation.

Great to see good packaging and nice cable management too.

05-09-2012, 08:46:19

MSIRawZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post
To be honest that's a pretty decent build for a sensible price.

On the whole component selection is sound although I think they could have made more of that CPU overclock. I do have a little issue with providing 16gb of RAM. There's a lot of PC builds available on the market which provide i7 CPUs and 16gb of RAM and frankly it's just a marketing ploy and and a waste of money for a dedicated gamer's build. Bigger numbers aren't always useful and certainly aren't necessary.

I'd prefer to see 7950s wth 3rd party cooling in there instead of the 660s personally, especially given the price these days (at least from a retail perspective) but it's not a deal breaker.

The OCZ SSD though..for me that is. I was on the phone to Aria just this week and it was mentioned that they are still seeing high RMAs for OCZ SSDs and also that all the staff there have M4s in their own rigs. Speaks volumes to me. I can't see why they would risk the extra inconvenience for both themselves and the customer. I guess the margins must be worth the hassle and reputation.

Great to see good packaging and nice cable management too.
Thank you for the comments

The OCZ SSD issue was down to the SandForce controller issues on the older SSDs. The new Agility 4 (& Vertex 4) SSDs are nice and stable after our testings with them, and thankfully do not use a SandForce controller.

7950s we do have an alternative CF spec, bit pricier though - http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming...roductId=51643.

This particular review system was sent before the price drops recently.

I couldn't agree more regarding the memory. Many including us do it, but as it's so cheap now (RAM), it's getting to that stage now with a system of this price - why not?

05-09-2012, 10:01:39

NRG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnW View Post
Do all GTX660Ti's have those power connections at the side ?!
really not good for modders IMHO...
any one with a short pcb will have them like that, same as a 670.

08-09-2012, 00:21:52

CPMFW
thats a pretty good rig for people that cant be bothered to build their own.

08-09-2012, 21:26:48

tiagojcp
I cant read the review. All the links send me to some kind of news site :/

Anyone else with this issue?

08-09-2012, 21:43:32

Josh Weston
It just sends me to OC3D's main page. Where are you being redirected to? Doesn't sound good...

09-09-2012, 09:13:04

tiagojcp
I'm being redirected to "dabs.com/learn-more/components-and-storage/amd-claim-sleeping-dogs-free-with-selected-graphics-cards-11858.html"

And I have to come to the forum to post this reply. If I try on the review, sends me to that site. And someone on facebook is having the same problem, so it isn't just me.

09-09-2012, 09:28:08

ruairi.C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagojcp View Post
I'm being redirected to "dabs.com/learn-more/components-and-storage/amd-claim-sleeping-dogs-free-with-selected-graphics-cards-11858.html"

And I have to come to the forum to post this reply. If I try on the review, sends me to that site. And someone on facebook is having the same problem, so it isn't just me.
can confirm this

09-09-2012, 09:35:14

jamesriley94
Yeh - me too

09-09-2012, 10:29:48

CPMFW
it was working yesterday...
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.