OC3D Recommended System Builds

Rocky - The Pound-for-Pound Champion

OC3D System Builds

Rocky - The Pound-for-Pound Champion

The high-midrange, where everyone is desperate to get the very finest hardware possible for a price they can afford, is the most cut and thrust sector of any market at all. What we wanted to do was put together something which would blow your doors off in real-terms. A specification that demonstrates that price doesn't always equate to performance.

The basis for our Pound-for-Pound Champion is the outstanding i5-3570K, a CPU that overclocks like a nutter and has great stock performance too. It's kept cool with a Corsair H100i, and the MSI GD65 Gaming is full of features that will be useful to everyone from hardcore fraggers to dedicated movie buffs. With the push-button overclock available there is no excuse not to get the most from the Intel CPU. The Kingston Predator RAM is blisteringly fast, looks fantastic, and has the backup of the excellent Kingston support. With a Club3D HD7950 Royal King, a HD7970 for £80 less, all of your games will look lovely and run smoothly. With the wonderful Samsung 840 Pro pushing it along everything will load quickly too. It's all held in our favourite sensibly-sized case, the NZXT Switch 810 which means this system is ripe for an easy custom watercooling upgrade if and when funds allow.

ProductPrice (with link)
Intel Core i5-3570K£166.79
MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming£151.01
8GB Kingston Predator 2400MHz£72.71
Club3D HD7950 Royal King£256.09
Corsair H100i£107.99
Corsair TX750M£92.36
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB£107.06
NZXT Switch 810£135.99


£1090 on the nose, which for a system with this much potential is an absolute bargain. Whilst it's always a balance between price and performance, this is the specification we'd recommend to anybody except the most well-heeled. Other models might be higher up the hardware range and therefore look better in your signature, but for blazing performance in every single task, at a price that wont leave you living on beans and noodles, this is the one. 

OC3D System Builds     OC3D System Builds

OC3D System Builds    OC3D System Builds   

«Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

Most Recent Comments

22-05-2013, 06:03:30

tinytomlogan
We're often asked what specifications we would recommend, so we've specced three systems to suit all pockets.


http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...122100534l.jpg


Continue Reading

22-05-2013, 06:09:10

Feronix
Hey Tom,

I visit this Dutch tech site where they do stuff like this monthly. I'm not asking you to do that, but since new hardware comes out all the time, maybe you guys can do this more often for those in need?

I personally think you left too big a gap between the first two though. You went from a 200r to a full tower, from a stock cooler to an H100i and from a low end card like the 650 Ti to a high-end 7950.

Other than that those are some nice builds.

22-05-2013, 06:23:30

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Hey Tom,

I visit this Dutch tech site where they do stuff like this monthly. I'm not asking you to do that, but since new hardware comes out all the time, maybe you guys can do this more often for those in need?

I personally think you left too big a gap between the first two though. You went from a 200r to a full tower, from a stock cooler to an H100i and from a low end card like the 650 Ti to a high-end 7950.

Other than that those are some nice builds.

Plans are a big update each quarter matey, no doubt we will update this again in a month or so


I dont think we left a gap really, you can buy a lot with an extra 500. Youll notice even the cheap rig had an SSD but the point was with that CPU it wont get hot so that cooler wont be loud. End of the day you cant have everything when you have to stick to a set budget so we chose what we deemed to be most important. All the rigs were designed to be able to be upgraded

22-05-2013, 06:27:13

Excalabur50
What a top idea well done

22-05-2013, 06:32:39

vorticalbox
can i ask why you picked the AMD A8-5600K over the FX-6300?

22-05-2013, 06:36:35

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticalbox View Post
can i ask why you picked the AMD A8-5600K over the FX-6300?
Price.

22-05-2013, 06:38:05

vorticalbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Price.
makes sense amen for aria's Deal For the Day.

22-05-2013, 06:45:33

Feronix
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Plans are a big update each quarter matey, no doubt we will update this again in a month or so


I dont think we left a gap really, you can buy a lot with an extra 500. Youll notice even the cheap rig had an SSD but the point was with that CPU it wont get hot so that cooler wont be loud. End of the day you cant have everything when you have to stick to a set budget so we chose what we deemed to be most important. All the rigs were designed to be able to be upgraded
Good point, but maybe it would be a good idea to add the extra pricepoint of 750 pounds next time? And is this really what you guys talk about in pubs?

22-05-2013, 07:05:40

kharma45
Always the option instead of the A8-5600K getting the Athlon X4 750K for around a tenner less http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CP-330-AM

It's just the APU sans the iGPU.

22-05-2013, 07:21:13

XaviCampa
Surprised not to see a Tahiti LE in the Rocky build! Then again, I'd also go for a beefy 7950 myself...

22-05-2013, 07:31:37

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0l4n View Post
Surprised not to see a Tahiti LE in the Rocky build! Then again, I'd also go for a beefy 7950 myself...

TBF it was very close but we still dont know how long we will be seeing them for so decided to play it safe with the 7950, even then we went for that on price because the GTX670 is just fuarking epic.

22-05-2013, 08:52:41

Robi_G
Could have got the 500m for the 500 build and saved a tenner or so that could have gone on the CPU.
The H100i is complete overkill for what you could have got for money saved over it. The TX750 is overpowered too.
I like the aim of this piece though.

22-05-2013, 09:10:24

Xenomorphical
I'm sure alot of people will appreciate this Tom, and also this will be a good topic to point people out to when they wonder what to get for their first build.

22-05-2013, 09:12:01

jdemain
This I am sure will help many great stuff OC3D team and Tom keep up your great work all my support and gratitude. Cheers.


Being in North America I wish there some way to get Club cards I really like the performace and looks. Again I will link some people here when asked what I suggest for agree with your load outs on all levels.

22-05-2013, 09:52:03

paulstung
Why go for X fire in Athena, when all I ever hear on the forum is to avoid it at all cost ?

Other than that great rigs. Rock on Tommy..

22-05-2013, 10:06:14

barnsley
Not a fan of the apu in the budget build due to the limited future cpu upgrades, I'd have personally gone for the 4300 but I guess that would've not added up to 500 so you got me beat.

22-05-2013, 10:25:38

antihero
Nice read, surely this will help a lot of folks. Why the 1200W power supply though? I very much doubt anyone who's not running Quad-SLI has parts in their rig pulling that kind of wattage.

22-05-2013, 11:03:42

wassupdoc
I'd probably change the case and ram on the mid build to something a little smaller, maybe a arc midi 2? and stick some red ram in there to match the motherboard, should give a little extra to spend on the cpu or gpu Great basic outlines guys these will be very useful for first time builders

22-05-2013, 13:07:25

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Nice read, surely this will help a lot of folks. Why the 1200W power supply though? I very much doubt anyone who's not running Quad-SLI has parts in their rig pulling that kind of wattage.
The fan never starts......

22-05-2013, 13:12:59

lwatcdr
I used PC Parts Picker to price them in the US. I could not match the builds exactly but I think I got pretty close.
This is Little Black Dress. It comes to 381.83 in the US.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($101.70 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H ATX FM2 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB ) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($133.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $576.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-22 12:55 EDT-0400)

For Rocky I had to change the RAM and the Video card because the ones selected where not available I stayed with the Kingston RAM but went with the Sapphire 7950 over the Club3D. Price in the US 766.27.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB ) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($322.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($145.47 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($82.75 @ Newegg)
Total: $1156.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-22 12:51 EDT-0400)

I had to use a custom part on PC parts picker for the cooler and again Club3d does not sell in the US so I used the Powercolor 7970 instead.
Total in the US 2167.82

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($409.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB ) DDR3-1866 Memory ($177.42 @ Amazon)
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($419.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($419.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($349.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($263.49 @ Newegg)
Other: XSPC Raystorm D5 360 ($299.99)
Total: $3270.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-22 13:00 EDT-0400)
Hope you all like them. And for good manners I added a link in the notes section of each build linking back to OC3d's original article, just incase anyone looks at them on the PCPartsPicker site.

22-05-2013, 14:19:55

Mgutierrez33
Nice build suggestions. I'm honestly kind of shocked that that APU is still a bit cheaper than the FX 4300 in a lot of places, but I definitely like that they seem to be getting more attention these days in multiple rig configurations. When utilizing an APU based build what would you suggest as the strongest video card before the processor starts to limit performance too much for it to be worth it? Still trying to wrap my head around what in the APU/FX 4/6-core CPUs holds back video card performance. I get that L2 cache sizes are different, there are variances in clock speeds and obviously fewer "cores", but beyond that with the architecture being the same it's still hard for me to explain to people why these lower tier processors can hold back GPU and overall system performance. I just know that they do, and that the benchmarks will definitively show that to be true.

22-05-2013, 14:29:33

s3ns3
not a fan of these builds. lol

22-05-2013, 14:35:14

Cru
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ns3 View Post
not a fan of these builds. lol
i think it would be good to inlcude why

22-05-2013, 14:46:57

s3ns3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru3L139 View Post
i think it would be good to inlcude why
it was stated before. the apu should be changed with the athlon X4 750K if you want a dedicated gpu couse its the same cpu without igp+a ssd should not be in the budget build.get better cpu. all the psu`s have too much W for the components,there are better and quieter video cards...dominator platinums... i`m just not a fan ... donno its just my opinion. we can all build them in so different ways

22-05-2013, 15:20:51

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ns3 View Post
it was stated before. the apu should be changed with the athlon X4 750K if you want a dedicated gpu couse its the same cpu without igp+a ssd should not be in the budget build.get better cpu. all the psu`s have too much W for the components,there are better and quieter video cards...dominator platinums... i`m just not a fan ... donno its just my opinion. we can all build them in so different ways

I gave up trying to please everyone year ago. Im not about to explain everything about above. Sadly thats why we write these things and you read them not understanding

22-05-2013, 15:27:16

AverageNinja
I actually quite like those! Only thing I would change is indeed adding a 700 budget system.
A system I would get (and will get soon) would be:
AMD FX8320
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
Corsair 8Gigs Vengeance Blue 1600MHz
CM Storm Scout 2 white
WD Blue 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair CX600(m)
Could easily fit in that pricepoint, possibly even stretchable to a SSD / 660Ti

22-05-2013, 17:38:48

Greenback
Nice hope you do more of these, My only change would be the black dress system instead of the ssd getting a bigger hdd for storage as 64gb isn't practical for OS + games when you can get a 2TB hdd for the same money, I understand why you went with the SSD for performance speed.
Maybe even the rocky could go 64GB ssd and a storage drive, just the way I'd probably go

22-05-2013, 17:56:43

FredEx
Looks like great basic builds. People, don't take these as a literal build that all must absolutely be followed. As far as the SSD in The Little Black Dress, I don't see a problem with it being that small. Mine is 60 Gig and I have everything on it I need on it. Everything else is installed to a mechanical hard drive. There are some things on my SSD that could be moved from it.

22-05-2013, 18:15:01

SPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
I actually quite like those! Only thing I would change is indeed adding a 700 budget system.
A system I would get (and will get soon) would be:
AMD FX8320
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
Corsair 8Gigs Vengeance Blue 1600MHz
CM Storm Scout 2 white
WD Blue 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair CX600(m)
Could easily fit in that pricepoint, possibly even stretchable to a SSD / 660Ti
For a 700 system I'd expect a better GPU if it was me.

22-05-2013, 18:28:00

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredEx View Post
Looks like great basic builds. People, don't take these as a literal build that all must absolutely be followed. As far as the SSD in The Little Black Dress, I don't see a problem with it being that small. Mine is 60 Gig and I have everything on it I need on it. Everything else is installed to a mechanical hard drive. There are some things on my SSD that could be moved from it.
This was my point the build doesn't include a storage drive so to keep the price bracket you would need to replace it for a bigger mechanical hard drive or increase the price slightly

22-05-2013, 18:28:23

Spiderz
I'm surprised there are people saying they would forgo an SSD in the 500 build, an SSD would speed day to day tasks up more than any upgraded GPU or CPU would.

Also a lot of people seemed to have missed the point that these systems are designed with upgradability in mind, hence the larger than required PSUs (however agree that 1200W is a bit overkill but hey, 3k build is overkill I suppose)

Last point - Should have a build in about the 750 mark imo, it is where a lot of the market will be.

22-05-2013, 18:28:57

alpenwasser
First off, very glad to see this, an excellent stopping point for people asking about this sort
of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
I gave up trying to please everyone year ago. Im not about to explain everything about above. Sadly thats why we write these things and you read them not understanding
The world we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredEx View Post
People, don't take these as a literal build that all must absolutely be followed.
Exactly what I was thinking. Take these as a baseline and if you feel you need to change
something then do so without all the moaning. My take on these sorts of recommendations
is that they provide a good starting point for planning a build, and if you follow them you
should be able to be confident that you haven't made any egregious errors in component
choice. It's not that they're the only possible choice, but they are one possibility
which has been thought over by well-informed people.

22-05-2013, 18:59:41

NeverBackDown
Good idea and good way to advertise as many people always look up "best recommended pcs" on google so good way to get some more hits on the interwebs!

22-05-2013, 20:10:44

murphy7801
2400mhz ram on 3930k wouldn't recommend it my 3930k cant do it. 2133mhz is safer option.

22-05-2013, 20:56:14

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy7801 View Post
2400mhz ram on 3930k wouldn't recommend it my 3930k cant do it. 2133mhz is safer option.
Silicon lottery... All cpus are different. I'm sure you know that but it still matters for the memory controller as well.

28-05-2013, 04:41:52

murphy7801
Its very well known that alot 3930k's wont do 2400mhz Tom mentions it himself.

27-08-2013, 06:46:47

TheRealRicciRich
Is there anychance of you doing something like this sometime soon? Really interested in your recommendations for a 1000 budget.

27-08-2013, 06:48:22

jamesriley94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRicciRich View Post
Is there anychance of you doing something like this sometime soon? Really interested in your recommendations for a 1000 budget.
Make a thread in 'new build advice' and we'll give you all the advice you need there

27-08-2013, 08:13:17

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRicciRich View Post
Is there anychance of you doing something like this sometime soon? Really interested in your recommendations for a 1000 budget.
Early september there will be a revision to the old one after a certain Intel launch.

18-10-2013, 02:28:10

Mr Muggles
Is there another thread on the updated version?

The mid-range build has discontinued items.

Very nice idea this.

19-10-2013, 06:17:47

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Muggles View Post
Is there another thread on the updated version?

The mid-range build has discontinued items.

Very nice idea this.
You can just post a forum thread for suggestions
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.