'

Intel is still fighting against the EU's $1.2 Billion antitrust fine

Intel is still fighting against the EU's $1.2 Billion antitrust fine

Intel are still fighting against the EU's $1.2 Billion antitrust fine

Intel is still fighting against the EU's $1.2 Billion antitrust fine

 

Intel is still fighting against the EU's $1.2 Billion antitrust fine from 2009, which was given to Intel after courts concluded that they were abusing their market position to stifle AMD's growth and eliminate competition. 

While Intel has already been denied an appeal back in 2014, but once again Intel is refusing to pay, stating to the European Court of Justice that the European Commission did not fully analyse "all relevant circumstances" to conclude that Intel has shut out their rivals back in 2009. 

In the original case, Intel was found to have been giving rebates to manufacturers like Acer, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo and NEC between 2002 and 2007 on the condition that at least 95% of their systems shipped with Intel CPUs and had "restrictive conditions" imposed on the other 5%. This prevented AMD from overcoming their rivals, preventing them from gaining any market share, despite the fact that they introduced the market's first X86 64-bit CPU back in 2003 and releasing the first dual core CPU in 2005. 

During this investigation, Intel was also found to have made payments to the retailer Media Markt on the condition that they only sold Intel-powered PCs. This prevented AMD from even selling their PCs at this retailer, making them unable to compete with Intel. 

  Intel are still fighting against the EU's $1.2 Billion antitrust fine

 

The European Commission should soon decide on Intel's new appeal, hopefully forcing Intel to finally pay up after 7 years of contesting their original decision. 

Rightfully Intel's 1.06 Billion Euro fine should have gone to AMD six years ago, rather than sitting in Intel's coffers. Hopefully, this court case will be finished soon, as to put it mildly this really should have been resolved by now.  

 

You can join the discussion on Intel fighting against their $1.2 Billion fine on the OC3D Forums

 

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

22-06-2016, 16:04:01

KTM_RULZ
If I remember correctly, when MS was fined, they ended up selling windows 7 in a higher price in EU. Is that what we 're looking at here?Quote

22-06-2016, 16:09:25

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_RULZ View Post
If I remember correctly, when MS was fined, they ended up selling windows 7 in a higher price in EU. Is that what we 're looking at here?
This should not affect EU pricing. Intel has known that they have had to pay this for 6 years now, the money is easily swallowed by their quarterly profits.

Just like any large sum of money Intel are doing everything in their power to delay, delay, delay. They just need to pay up and get it over with.Quote

22-06-2016, 16:16:26

SeekaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
This should not affect EU pricing. Intel has known that they have had to pay this for 6 years now, the money is easily swallowed by their quarterly profits.

Just like any large sum of money Intel are doing everything in their power to delay, delay, delay. They just need to pay up and get it over with.
Unless the sum they have to pay is adjusted they are probably delaying the payment due to inflation. $1.2 billion now is $1.1 billion in 2010. That's quite a bit of money saved.Quote

22-06-2016, 16:38:10

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
Unless the sum they have to pay is adjusted they are probably delaying the payment due to inflation. $1.2 billion now is $1.1 billion in 2010. That's quite a bit of money saved.
Also remember that Intel is a US company and that exchange rates will matter.

I believe that the Dollar is stronger now compared to the Euro than what it was. In 2014 the fine was equal to $1.4 billion dollars and not $1.2 billion.Quote

22-06-2016, 17:33:59

Chrazey
If this is true that my view on Intel has changed. What I hate amongst the most is unfair play. Doing this to AMD lowered them in my eyes... They seem to be quite cowards not to pay, even though as you say, these money is most likely just like a fart in the wind to Intel.

Not cool at all Intel.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.