Radeon acknowledges high RX 7900XT/X idle power with their AMD Software 22.12.1 drivers
Expect AMD to address the RX 7900 XT/XTX’s high idle power draw with future driver releases
AMD has released their new Radeon RX 7900 XTX and Radeon RX 7900 XT, delivering RDNA 3 to the masses. With this new GPU launch comes AMD Software 22.12.1, a new driver release that enabled support for AMD’s latest GPUs, and confirms that fixes are coming for some of the issues that have been outlined in early reviews.
Under three of the “known issues” for AMD Software 22.12.1 are the “Resolution targeted for 22.12.2″ notation, which confirms that AMD should be launching a new driver later this month that will be filled with new bug fixes. Additionally, AMD’s release notes also reveal why some early RX 7900 XT/XTX reviews have noted that AMD’s RX 7900 series GPUs have higher than expected levels of idle power consumption. Future driver releases from AMD should address this idle power draw issue, which is great news for energy conscious gamers. Note this this power draw bug is only seen with “select high resolution and high refresh rate displays”.
– Support for Radeon RX 7900 Series Graphics.
– Corruption may be encountered when using Virtual Super Resolution with multi-display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
– A system crash may be observed when changing display modes with 4 display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
– High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high resolution and high refresh rate displays.
– Intermittent app crashes or driver timeout may occur when using Radeon Super Resolution with some extended display configurations.
– Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations.
– Stuttering may be observed in UNCHARTED™ 4: A Thief’s End during the opening game sequence.
– While loading Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales™ an app crash or driver timeout may occur after enabling ray tracing settings [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
Radeon Product Family Compatibility
Radeon RX 7900 XTX Radeon RX 7900 XT Radeon RX 6000 Series Radeon RX 6000M Series Radeon RX Navi 5700/5600 Series Radeon VII Radeon RX 5500 Series RX 5300M (Notebook GPU) Radeon RX Vega Series AMD Radeon Pro Duo Radeon RX 500 Series Graphics AMD Radeon RX 400 Series Graphics