'

The Coalition showcases their Alpha Point Tech Demo and Next-Gen Character Rendering with Unreal Engine 5

This is what the latest consoles are capable of

The Coalition showcases its Alpha Point Tech Demo and Next-Gen Character Rendering with Unreal Engine 5

The Coalition showcases their Alpha Point Tech Demo and Next-Gen Character Rendering with UE5

The Coalition, the studio behind the Gears of War franchise, has showcased what they can do with Epic Games' Unreal Engine 5 (UE5) at GDC 2021 with their Alpha Point tech demo and character test renders. These technical showcases highlight the potential of Xbox Series X using Unreal Engine 5, giving gamers and developers a clear look at what to expect from the latest consoles. 

As a Microsoft-owned studio, The Coalition's deep dive into Unreal Engine 5 will not discuss Sony's PlayStation 5 console. That said, this tech demo will showcase what will be possible when Unreal Engine 5 is used with next-generation gaming systems using Nanite assets and UE5's Lumen lighting system. 

With their Alpha Point tech demo, The Coalition has claimed that their demo was created using a mixture of their own homemade assets alongside assets from Quixel's Megascans. In total, The Coalition made 90% of the assets used in the demo, with the remaining 10% coming from Megascans. 

Alpha Point was built using Unreal Engine 5 and Xbox Series X. This scene is rendered with real-time lighting, real-time reflections, and over 100+ million triangles within the scene. While this tech demo doesn't represent any future game from The Coalition, it highlights the potential of Microsoft's Xbox Series X system.  


The gaming market is still in its cross-generation stage, which has prevented most developers from fully utilising the capabilities of Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 5 and modern PC hardware. GDC 2021 should showcase to the world what will be possible on the latest gaming systems and give both gamers and developers a clear idea of what to expect from the latest generation of gaming systems. Alpha Point showcases how the latest consoles and Unreal Engine 5 will push gaming forward. Unfortunately, The Coalition has no plans to release their Alpha Point Tech Demo publically, preventing us from looking at their work on our own systems. 

Below is a look at a character render from The Coalition on Unreal Engine 5, which should highlight the level of detail that is possible on the latest consoles. The skin rendering showcases here is top quality, as are the material and geometric details of the character's clothing. This character was rendered in real-time using Unreal Engine 5 on an Xbox Series X.  




You can join the discussion on The Coalition's Unreal Engine 5 tech demos on the OC3D Forums

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.