Intel 8th Generation Core i3 8350K and Core i5 8600K Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

Intel 8th Generation Core i3-8350K and Core i5-8600K Review

Introduction

The most recent Intel CPUs have massively increased the number of cores and threads available to them. It wasn't that long ago that the majority of i5 and i7 processors were quad cores, whilst the i3 made do with two. The i7s had hyperthreading to help differentiate them from the i5s, but the 'lesser' Intel chips still found homes in a huge amount of computers. Even now the i5-2500K is still a massively popular choice.

However, with the enormous amount of cores now being squeezed onto Intel's Processors and the introduction of the beastly Core i9 with more cores than most people have GB of RAM, the trickle down effect has reached the popular mid-range offerings of Core i3 and Core i5. If you've been looking enviously at the Coffee Lake range and a spangly new Z370 motherboard then the two processors we have for review today could be perfect choices. They might be lacking in hyperthreading but usually that means that they overclock higher than their Core i7 siblings, so we're intrigued as to what will be available to us.

Technical Specifications

Demonstrating how much of a hike there has been since the earlier i3 and i5 models, the Core i3-8350K now sports 4 cores running at 4 GHz, whilst the Core i5-8600K has a meaty 6 cores at between 3.6 GHz and 4.3 GHz. Both have the Intel UHD Graphics 630 integrated option providing decent graphics for those without a GPU.

 Core i3-8350KCore i5-8600K
Lithography14nm14nm
Cores46
Threads46
Base Frequency4 GHz3.6 GHz
Turbo Frequencyn/a4.3 GHz
Cache8MB9MB
TDP91W95W
Memory SupportDDR4-2400DDR4-2666
Processor GraphicsUHD Graphics 630UHD Graphics 630
Maximum PCI Express Lanes1616
MSRP$170$257

 

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next»

Most Recent Comments

19-03-2018, 11:09:51

Darkdayzzz
Hey guys, quick question (that I will end up checking google after) but its one that I just thought of:

Which do you wager would be better for gaming - i3-8350k or i5-8400 ?Quote

19-03-2018, 11:11:17

RobM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz View Post
Hey guys, quick question (that I will end up checking google after) but its one that I just thought of:

Which do you wager would be better for gaming - i3-8350k or i5-8400 ?
depends on the games you play and if they are CPU bound but I would imagine the king of gaming CPU will still be the i5Quote

19-03-2018, 12:12:43

Darkdayzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
depends on the games you play and if they are CPU bound but I would imagine the king of gaming CPU will still be the i5
Awesome thanks for the input oh...somehow my initial post is gone, maybe I accidentally deleted it...thanks brain/browser.

Whatever xD, thanks for the info once again!Quote

20-03-2018, 04:29:45

Peace
Well, I guess it's time to upgrade soon... The real question though is: is it worth to upgrade from an i7-4770K to an i5-8600K? Since I'm only a gamer and occasional streamer, I got myself the i7 back in 2013, to have the extra threads for the stream. Performance-wise it would make sense, of course, but would it be worth to upgrade for just 2 more cores/4 more threads, or should I rather save for the i7... Argh, decisions ._.

I guess the smartest way would be to wait for DDR5 and Intel's 9th or even 10th Gen, right? Considering how long we have to wait for DDR5...Quote

20-03-2018, 12:31:26

RobM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Ð View Post
Well, I guess it's time to upgrade soon... The real question though is: is it worth to upgrade from an i7-4770K to an i5-8600K? Since I'm only a gamer and occasional streamer, I got myself the i7 back in 2013, to have the extra threads for the stream. Performance-wise it would make sense, of course, but would it be worth to upgrade for just 2 more cores/4 more threads, or should I rather save for the i7... Argh, decisions ._.

I guess the smartest way would be to wait for DDR5 and Intel's 9th or even 10th Gen, right? Considering how long we have to wait for DDR5...
tbh when you factor in the new motherboard your gonna need and the DDR4 you may as well go Ryzen if you need multi-threaded and for gaming they are not that far behind in most titles very close in others and ahead in some. and at a much nicer price point.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.