ASUS Designo MX27AQ 1440 IPS Monitor Review
Published: 15th May 2015 | Source: ASUS | Price: £480 @ OCUK |
Monitors are one of those items that people don't, in our experience, tend to spend enough money on. Considering that it's the single most important element of your system we think that's a shame. After all, why bother spending £400 on a mental GPU that's capable of extraordinary image quality if you're only going to run it through some £100 monitor with a screen that makes everything look like a 70s softcore film?
If you've only ever experienced a TN panel, even a good one, then the benefits in clarity and colour reproduction of an IPS panel are most definitely something you need to see to appreciate. As you move up the resolutions towards the 2560x1440 available on today's review model, then this colour accuracy is brought into ever starker contrast.
It's not merely the panel itself that makes the MX27AQ a monitor of interest. As well as having a great panel, it comes in a sleek design and has Bang and Olufsen speakers. So let's crack on.
It would be easy to glance through the specs and assume that the MX27AQ is just another 1440P monitor with some decent speakers attached. Oh ye of little faith. Yes the 27" IPS panel might be standard fare but once you see the design then you realise that there is much more to the ASUS than just a big screen.
- 27-inch In-Plane Switching specification LCD panel
- WQHD (2560×1440) resolution @ 60Hz
- B&O ICEpower stereo speakers
- ASUS SonicMaster and AudioWizard EQ technologies built into the monitor
- Frameless monitor and bespoke design
- 1x DP 1.2, 1x HDMI 1.4/MHL 2.0 combination port, 2x HDMI 1.4
- 2560x1440 Resolution
- 5ms Response Time
- Matte anti-glare technology
- Contrast Ratio: 100,000,000:1
- Colours: 16.7M
- Trace Free technology
- LED Technology
- AH-IPS with 178/178 Viewing angles
- Frameless, Ultra slim design
- Input Connections: 2x HDMI 1.4, 1x HDMI/MHL, 1x DisplayPort, PC Audio-in jack, Earphone jack
- Aluminum Alloy Decoration
- Touch sensor buttons
- Bang & Olufsen ICEpower Speakers (3W x 2 RMS w/ 5W x 2 Amplifier)
- True high fidelity sound using SonicMaster technology
- Kensington Lock feature
- 3yr Warrant