ASUS Strix R9 380X Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

ASUS Strix R9 380X Review

Introduction

AMD have produced a baffling array of graphics cards in recent times. Maybe it's a product of the marketplace, or their own business model, but each new card has been a bit like the last one, just with a new number. The giant leaps forward of old seem to be, for those of us with a special place in our heart for the Radeons, a distant memory.

Restructuring your company for greater efficiency always leads to a slack period in regards to actual product developments but with everyone facing in the right direction the 300 series is upon us and, in particular, today's model the R9 380X.

Our review sample comes to us as part of the ASUS Strix range, a suite of cards for the discerning purchaser. Free from the obvious brand recognition that comes with the ROG lot, the Strixs are quietly building a reputation as a seriously high performance card with a cooler that endures such rigorous demands.

We have a card, we have some benchmarks, let's get down to business.

Technical Specifications

Showing how important it is to not just look at dry specifications, the table for the R9 380X reads identically to the specification table for the R9 280X. AMD have come under fire from us on more than one occasion for rebranding, so we hope that this is merely a case of supplying a card at a certain price point and that price point dictating how many Stream Processors or how much bandwidth can be given for x unit cost. Certainly with 2048 Stream Processors on board the R9 380X should have enough to challenge the GTX960 at which it's aimed.

ASUS Strix R9 380X Review  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next»

Most Recent Comments

19-11-2015, 12:19:48

dwatterworth
What the what?!?!
That thing must be the teenager of the AMD group, it's all over the place!
That has got to be the most confusing set of results ever, especially beating a 980 in one test???Quote

19-11-2015, 23:25:13

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatterworth View Post
What the what?!?!
That thing must be the teenager of the AMD group, it's all over the place!
That has got to be the most confusing set of results ever, especially beating a 980 in one test???
Something is definitely wrong here in these tests. Every other review site consistently shows this card dominating the 960(it's closest Nvidia compeition) and every other card under the 390/970. It's the king of hill as far as it's price segment goes. Also all the reviews i have read aren't using the Strix(from what I have seen so far) and have had pretty good results in OC'ing hitting at least 1110/1600. This could suggest a bad Strix card OC3D received which would point towards the outlier results. It could also be a bad driver install but that wouldn't explain the OC'ing results so I'm thinking this is a bad card. But I would agree with you that these results surprised me too after reading other reviews.Quote

20-11-2015, 04:28:34

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Something is definitely wrong here in these tests. Every other review site consistently shows this card dominating the 960(it's closest Nvidia compeition) and every other card under the 390/970. It's the king of hill as far as it's price segment goes. Also all the reviews i have read aren't using the Strix(from what I have seen so far) and have had pretty good results in OC'ing hitting at least 1110/1600. This could suggest a bad Strix card OC3D received which would point towards the outlier results. It could also be a bad driver install but that wouldn't explain the OC'ing results so I'm thinking this is a bad card. But I would agree with you that these results surprised me too after reading other reviews.
We review what we get. 1110 isnt that much more than the stock clock we got and Id seriously think twice about benching it all again. I can assure though that their were no anomalies with our testing and we have reported it exactly how we should have.

Can only polish a rebrand so much matey. Meh card is meh. /end.Quote

20-11-2015, 13:02:20

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
We review what we get. 1110 isnt that much more than the stock clock we got and Id seriously think twice about benching it all again. I can assure though that their were no anomalies with our testing and we have reported it exactly how we should have.

Can only polish a rebrand so much matey. Meh card is meh. /end.
This isn't a rebrand and calling it that is wrong. The previous 280x wasn't even using the same GCN architecture. There are a lot of underhood improvements between them and is why other reviews show this being faster than any other amd card that has 2048 cores but different GCN architectures. In addition to that it has more TMUs in comparison, It also consumes less power(from 30-50 watts depending on where you look) because it's more efficient just to top it off that its not a rebrand. You should know all this technical stuff dude.

Oh and in overclocking, 1110 was a conservative avg. I've seen some hit nearly 1150 and then over 6500 on the memory. All of them Nitro cards. I just think Asus again has made a bad amd card. Alternatively Sapphire could just be getting the best cores atm but seeing as how cool and quiet they are in comparison, it's up for debate on quality between the two. Imo sapphire just have the better card but I'm hoping XFX and MSI reviews are also as good as the Nitro has been.

I'm not saying you are lieing in the review but just in comparison to every other review yours is the only outlier result. It's just weird and strange is allQuote

20-11-2015, 14:49:29

tinytomlogan
Its not a bad card at all, its more than capable. The core at the heart isnt all that when tested how we doQuote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.