Silver Power GuardianX 1000w SP-1000E ATX PSU
Published: 16th May 2007 | Source: Silver Power | Price: |
Just over one week ago, a 600w power supply landed on my desk from a manufacturer I'd never been acquainted with before - Silver Power. Aimed at the mid-range market and taking a 'no-frills' approach to packaging and extras, I was almost convinced that the unit was going to be a sub-par performer before I'd even started testing it. However, on plugging the "Blue Lightning" into our testing equipment I found myself eating my words. Not only did the power supply show good voltage stability, but also low noise, good efficiency and a great price-tag to boot.
Therefore when I received an e-mail from Silver Power only yesterday asking if I'd like to be one of the first in the UK to test their recently released 1000w model, I jumped at the chance. If the results from the recent Blue Lightning 600w review are anything to go by and Silver Power have stuck to their 'stable power on a budget' morels, could the GuardianX PSU be one of the first 1kw units to provide stable power at an affordable price-point?
For those of us who haven't heard of Silver Power (and let's face it - it's probably quite a few), they are actually a subsidary company of the well known Tagan brand name. This obviously gives them a bit of a jump-start into the market, as well as being able to share knowledge Tagan has gained as a PSU manufacturer over the past 8 years. Here's what Tagan had to say about it's little brother at the release of the 1kw unit we are reviewing today:
|Tagan first came to light in Germany during 1999, accompanied by a strong enthusiastic team of Germany’s finest Engineering graduates who had the spirit, discipline and motivation to propel Tagan as a contender into the mainstream listings as a High End Power supply manufacturer.|
During the last year or so we have acknowledged that the professional gamers out there have requested that we launch something with the same power but without the gimmicks of fancy looking packaging etc... This is why we have come up with this superb entry level power supply.
Silver Power is a perfect choice for the professional user who has concerns about cost. It comes without Tagan’s luxury accessories and packaging but still maintains the highest quality materials with the latest PSU technology. The technology that has been implemented into Silver Power equals Tagan’s finest components
The following information has been taken from Silver Power's press release that can be downloaded here.
• Meets newest requirements: Intel ATX12V Rev 2.2 and EPS12V Rev 2.9.
• Six independent +12V Rails for more stability and safety.
• Support 2 x 8-Pin 2 x 6-Pin PCI-Express or 4 x 6-Pin PCI-Express-connectors for High-End Graphic cards using NVidia’s SLI or ATI’s Crossfire Technology
• Active Power Factor Correction with a high PF value of > 0.98
• Extra high efficiency more than 85% at full load which minimizes cost, energy and heat.
• Build-in Low Noise 80 mm fan with thermal speed control
• Various Protections designed for more security of all components and extra lifetime:
- OPP (Over Power Protection)
- OVP (Over Voltage Protection)
- OCP (Over Current Protection)
- SCP (Short Circuit Protection)
• Dimension (WxDxH inches): 6“x 7“ x 2.2“ Slim Design.
• Universal AC input: 100 V – 240 V No adapter needed worldwide.
The GuardianX comes with all the usual safety features you'd expect from a respectable PSU brand along with an extremely good efficiency rating. In addition to this, the unit features a total of six +12v rails for increased voltage stability when using power hungry devices such as the latest graphics cards.