Destiny 2 PC Performance Review

AMD VS Nvidia - RX 480 VS GTX 1060 - Benchmarks from Lowest to Highest Settings

Destiny 2 Beta PC Performance Review

AMD VS Nvidia - RX 480 VS GTX 1060 - Benchmarks from Lowest to Highest Settings

 
When comparing AMD's RX 480 to Nvidia's GTX 1060 (both ASUS Strix models) we can see that the performance comparison offers a mixed bag performance-wise, with AMD's RX 480 winning out at 1440p Highest settings while the Nvidia system achieves the most performance at all of the game's lower graphical presets. 

It seems clear that AMD has chosen to optimize their game drivers for Destiny 2's highest graphical preset, where AMD's GPUs fared quite badly in the game's beta, which could be the reason why AMD's performance is better than Nvidia when using this preset. When looking at our other tests we can also see that AMD's hardware works best when playing the game at higher resolutions, at least when compared to their Nvidia counterparts, offering some strange performance results.

On both the GTX 1060 and RX 480 we were able to achieve framerates with averages of around 70FPS at 1440p high settings, which allows the game to be played at over 60FPS most of the time. Our benchmark scenario was in on of the most demanding areas of the game that we could find, which means that more often than not your framerates will be much higher than this when using the same hardware.   

If you look at our graphical comparison images on the previous two pages you can see that there is not much of a visual difference between Destiny 2's High and Highest visual presets, with the difference being almost extremely difficult to notice outside of a side-by-side comparison, making the downgrade to High settings one that can be easily stomached for most users if they encounter performance issues. Beyond that most users using high settings will be able to upgrade to the game#s highest textures and 16x Anisotropic filtering without much of an issue.  

 

Destiny 2 PC Performance Review

  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next»

Most Recent Comments

27-10-2017, 14:08:16

Dicehunter
Interesting seeing the Fury X on the heels of the 1080 Fe in 1440P and 4K.

Brill job as usual WYP !Quote

27-10-2017, 14:27:29

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Interesting seeing the Fury X on the heels of the 1080 Fe in 1440P and 4K.

Brill job as usual WYP !
In terms of average framerate yes, but minimums were not great. Makes me very interested to try a Vega, but alas I don't have a Vega over here.

Interesting game, Destiny 2, but the online elements make it a huge PITA to benchmark. Most people seem to have just used the scripted story bits that were in the beta (time saver), or just didn't try due to the lack of overlay support etc.

Working on a new game already, this week is game week.Quote

28-10-2017, 01:48:21

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
In terms of average framerate yes, but minimums were not great. Makes me very interested to try a Vega, but alas I don't have a Vega over here.

Interesting game, Destiny 2, but the online elements make it a huge PITA to benchmark. Most people seem to have just used the scripted story bits that were in the beta (time saver), or just didn't try due to the lack of overlay support etc.

Working on a new game already, this week is game week.
Oct 27 in general is game day! I saw an article about how this day in particular with so many releases coming out(Wolfenstien, ACO, Mario, etc) is amongst the most populated game launch days ever. Pretty crazy.Quote

28-10-2017, 09:49:53

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Oct 27 in general is game day! I saw an article about how this day in particular with so many releases coming out(Wolfenstien, ACO, Mario, etc) is amongst the most populated game launch days ever. Pretty crazy.
Indeed, and none of them are proving easy to benchmark. Destiny 2 has its online play factoring into things, Assassins Creed Origns... well, we will get to that when the review is finished.

I am not the kind of guy that just runs a benchmark and then is done with a game, most "reviews" have a shocking lack of attention to detail.

Looking forward to getting into Wolfenstein, should be sweet.Quote

29-10-2017, 04:10:37

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Indeed, and none of them are proving easy to benchmark. Destiny 2 has its online play factoring into things, Assassins Creed Origns... well, we will get to that when the review is finished.

I am not the kind of guy that just runs a benchmark and then is done with a game, most "reviews" have a shocking lack of attention to detail.

Looking forward to getting into Wolfenstein, should be sweet.
Same here. I absolutely love AC, but this time I didn't buy it and instead spent my money on Wolfenstein. Super excited.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.