AMD’s Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point – Intel now has to fight in every market – CES 2020

AMD's Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point - Intel now has to fight in every market - CES 2020

AMD’s Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point – Intel now has to fight in every market – CES 2020

Today marks a turning point for AMD, one which will make 2020 an incredibly successful year for the company. The Zen 2 revolution has now arrived on mobile platforms, with the Ryzen 4000 series bringing Zen 2 and 7nm to notebooks. 

While AMD’s Zen architecture was previously available within laptops, they didn’t compete with Intel favourable, especially on the high-end. Now, thanks to the Ryzen Mobile 4000 series, that changes. Now, AMD can offer eight cores and sixteen threads at a TDP of 15W, an industry first.   

What Ryzen 4000 series mobile CPUs offer is more cores, heightened efficiency levels and increased performance. Zen 2 has already revolutionised the desktop, server and high-end desktop markets, and that trend doesn’t change with mobile. If anything, the efficiency gains offered by both 7nm and Zen 2 are heightened within the mobile market, as this is the market where performance-per-watt matters most. 

AMD's Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point - Intel now has to fight in every market - CES 2020  

AMD has claimed that Zen 2 is “Twice As Power Efficient” as AMD’s last-generation mobile offerings. 30% of this improvement comes thanks to AMD’s Zen 2 core design, while TSMC’s leading-edge 7nm lithography delivers the remaining 70%. 

A generational efficiency improvement of 2x is almost unheard of within the CPU market, and you can be sure that these gains will bring more customers to AMD as we move into 2020. 

AMD's Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point - Intel now has to fight in every market - CES 2020  

For the thin and light 15W TDP market, AMD has revealed their Ryzen 7 4800U, a processor which offers users eight cores and 16 threads. This is more cores than what Intel can offer at this TDP, and a 2x increase over AMD’s highest-end Ryzen 3000U series offerings.   

With this processor, AMD promises to deliver strong performance and cool/quiet operation in lightweight notebook designs. AMD expects its first Ryzen 4000 series mobile processors to release in Q1 2020, and for 100 laptop designs to utilise the series before the end of 2020. 

AMD's Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point - Intel now has to fight in every market - CES 2020  

To showcase the performance of their new Ryzen 4000U series mobile processors, AMD decided to pit it against Ice Lake series processors. Ice Lake is Intel’s latest 10nm processor design, offering users a post-14nm core design and the company’s latest Gen 11 graphics technology.  

As you can see below, AMD’s product offering can surpass Intel’s product with ease, with the Ryzen 7 4800U making a mockery of Intel’s Ice Lake i7-1065G7. Please note that AMD provided these benchmarks, so take these results with a grain of salt. 

AMD's Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point - Intel now has to fight in every market - CES 2020  

While the 15W Ryzen 4000 U-series already looks impressive, AMD’s Ryzen Mobile 4000-H series promises to be something else. Here, AMD promises desktop-grade CPU performance at 45W, promising higher clock speeds and the same 8/16 core/thread count as AMD’s high-end Ryzen 4000 mobile U-series. 

With the Ryzen 7 4800H, AMD promises to deliver “desktop caliber” performance on mobile platforms, bringing next-level performance for gamers and creators alike. 

AMD's Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point - Intel now has to fight in every market - CES 2020  
When looking at the slide below, we can see AMD’s new Ryzen Mobile processor deliver a 39% performance boost over Intel’s i9-9750H mobile CPU at the same 45W TDP and a notable performance boost over Intel’s desktop-grade i9-9700K. This is a massive achievement for an AMD Ryzen Mobile processor, though it is worth noting that Intel’s i7-9700K lacks SMT (hyperthreading), giving AMD a thread-count advantage. 

AMD's Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors are a turning point - Intel now has to fight in every market - CES 2020  

With Zen 2, AMD has moved from being present in every area of the x86 CPU market to fighting for leadership of every area of the x86 CPU market. Before Zen AMD had a minimal presence within the mobile processor market, but with Zen 2 AMD now has the opportunity to not only gain market share but to surpass Intel in the eyes of consumers and OEMs in some areas. 

With Ryzen Mobile 4000, AMD now has the opportunity to take a slice of the high-end notebook market, giving AMD access to higher revenues and sales volumes. I predict a successful 2020 for AMD. 

You can join the discussion on AMD’s Ryzen 4000 series processors on the OC3D Forums.